ADA Compliance: The City of Rapid City fully subscribes to the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you desire to attend this public meeting and are in need of special accommodations, please notify the City Attorney's Office 24 hours prior to the meeting so that appropriate auxiliary aids and services are available.
Please remember to turn all cellular phones off or to vibrate when entering the council chambers.
PUBLIC WORKS COMMITTEE AGENDA
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
Tuesday, September 27, 2011; 12:30 p.m.
Roll Call and Determination of Quorum
Approve Minutes of September 13, 2011
Adoption of the Agenda
General Public Comment
A time for members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Committee on any issue, not limited to items on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Aldermen present.
SPECIAL ITEMS FROM THE PUBLIC
1) PW092711-01 – Mountain Pine Beetle Update – Tom Troxel, Black Hills Forest Resource Association.
2) PW092711-18 – Request by Hani Shafai to Include Land Acquisition and Clearing and Grading of Land as Allowable Project Costs for a Proposed Tax Increment District Located Near the South Dakota School of Mines.
ITEMS FROM THE MAYOR
3) PW092711-02 – 2011 Energy Efficiency Awareness Day – Mutch Usera, Black Hills Power.
ITEMS FROM ALDERMAN AND COMMITTEE REPORTS
4) PW092711-03 – Update on Green-Sustainable Cities – Eirik Heikes and Suzanne Martley, Mayor’s Ad Hoc Task Force on Green Cities.
5) PW092711-04 – Condition of Wayside Drive – Alderman Ron Sasso.
ITEMS FROM THE PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR
6) PW092711-05 – Acknowledge August 2011 Water and Wastewater Report.
7) PW092711-06 – Acknowledge August 2011 Water Production Report.
APPROVE CHANGE ORDER
8) PW092711-07 – Change Order No. 1F to Hills Materials Company for Pavement Rehabilitation Project #2 – Lakota Homes, Project No. ST11-1911 / CIP No. 50549, for an increase of $11,376.32.
9) PW092711-08 – Change Order No. 1 to DHD Construction Inc. for 2011 Miscellaneous Improvements Project, Project No. MIP11-1923 / CIP No. 50298, for an increase of $8,423.29.
AUTHORIZE STAFF TO ADVERTISE FOR BIDS
10) PW092711-09 – WRF Pretreatment Improvements – Washer/Compactor Procurement, Project No. WRF11-1928/CIP No. 50855. Estimated Cost $188,000.00.
11) PW092711-10 – WRF Pretreatment Improvements – Screening Equipment Procurement, Project No. WRF11-1928/CIP No. 50855. Estimated Cost $469,800.00.
AUTHORIZE MAYOR AND FINANCE OFFICER TO SIGN
12) PW092711-11 – Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Hills Materials Company for P.E.T.T. Building Parking Lot Repair, Project No. PL11-1979, in the amount of $13,847.00.
13) PW092711-12 – Water Billing for Rapid City Property Lease Holders.
14) PW092711-13 – Authorize acceptance of temporary construction easement for the Jackson Springs Water Treatment Plant and related improvements, Project No. WTP-1858 / CIP No. 50789.
15) PW092711-14 – Request from Symcom for time extension to July 2, 2012 for a sidewalk installation.
RAPID TRANSIT DIVISION
16) PW092711-15 – 2011 City View Trolley Season Review - Rich Sagen.
17) PW092711-16 – Discussion on Snow Policy – Don Brumbaugh.
WATER RECLAMATION DIVISION
18) PW092711-17 – Authorize Mayor to appoint Vicki Fisher, Joel Landeen, and Jerry Wright from the Freeholders Panel to assist in assessing value to surplus alfalfa and hay bales.
GROWTH MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT
19) No. 11VE017 - McMahon Subdivision – A request by Renner & Associates, LLC for M&P Developments to consider an application for a Vacation of Minor Drainage and Utility Easement for Lot A of Tract E-3R of McMahon Subdivision located in Section 24, T2N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, more generally described as being located on the south side of Kathryn Avenue approximately 220 feet west of the intersection of Kathryn Avenue and Haines Avenue. (Continued from the September 13, 2011, Public Works Committee Meeting)
20) No. 11RZ013 – Second Reading, Ordinance 5736, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, Rezoning the within Described Property as requested by Dream Design International, Inc. for a Rezoning from General Agriculture District to Low Density Residential District for a portion of the NE1/4 of the NE1/4, Section 29, T1N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota more fully described as follows: Commencing at the northwesterly corner of Lot 1, Block 12 of Red Rock Meadows Subdivision, and the point of beginning; Thence, first course: N00°19’29”W, a distance of 99.01 feet; Thence, second course: N00°18’28”W, a distance of 90.00 feet; Thence, third course: N89°41’32”E, a distance of 165.00 feet, to a point on the section line common to Sections 28 & 29, T1N, R7E, BHM; Thence, fourth course: S00°18’28”E, along the section line common to said Sections 28 & 29, a distance of 189.93 feet; Thence, fifth course: N89°58’06”W, a distance of 26.00 feet, to the northeasterly corner of said Lot 1, Block 12; Thence, sixth course: N89°58’06”W, along the northerly boundary of said Lot 1, Block 12, a distance of 138.97 feet, to the said point of beginning, located at the current northern terminus of Dunsmore Road. (Continued from the September 6, 2011 Council meeting)
21) No. 11FV007 - Knollwood Heights Subdivision No. 4 – A request by Kevin Bourne to consider an application for a Fence Height Exception to allow a six foot fence in lieu of a four foot fence in the front yard setback for Lot 33R of Block 8 of Knollwood Heights Subdivision No. 4 Revised located in Section 30, T2N, R8E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, more generally described as being located at 1525 Racine Street.
22) No. 11FV008 - Nowlin and Wood Addition – A request by Timothy L. Clarke to consider an application for a Fence Height Exception to allow a six foot fence in lieu of a four foot fence in the front yard setback for Lots 38 and 39 of Block 35 of Nowlin & Wood Replat located in Section 31, T2N, R8E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, more generally described as being located at 532 E. Van Buren Street.
23) 11TP019 – Rapid City Area Metropolitan Planning Organization 2012 Unified Planning Work Program - Draft Report.
24) 11TP020 – Rapid City Area Metropolitan Planning Organization Participation Plan Update - Draft Report.
PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT
25) PW092711-19 – Change Order No. 1 to Conrad’s Big “C” Electric for Canyon Lake Park Lighting Improvements Project No. PR09-6012, time extension of 30 days (no cost); new completion date is October 26, 2011.
26) PW092711-20 – Update on Halley Park Building.
27) PW092711-21 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign a Professional Services Agreement with Fennel Design, Inc. for the Horace Mann Park Pool Replacement Feasibility Study and Preliminary Design, Project No. PR11-6042.
28) PW092711-22 – Acknowledge Report of Memorial Park Civic Center Sign Timing.
COMMUNITY RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
29) PW092711-23 – Resolution No. 2011-122 Establishing Authorized Public Works Department FTE’s.
30) PW092711-24 – Resolution No. 2011-123 to Amend the City of Rapid City Compensation Plan by Making the Following Deletion of the Position of Aquatics Division Manager.
31) PW092711-25 – Resolution No. 2011-124 to Amend the City of Rapid City Non-Union Compensation Plan by Making the Following Changes to the Position of Recreation Division Manager.
32) PW092711-26 – Resolution No. 2011-125 to Amend the Parks and Recreation Authorized FTEs.