Please remember to turn all cell
phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
Please remember to turn all cell phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
City Council Policies and Procedures
City Council Policies and Procedures
AGENDA FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
6:30 P.M., Tuesday, January 21, 2014
ROLL CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
INVOCATION (You are welcome to participate, but not required)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Citizen of the Month: Regina Lewis, Ward 3
2. Veteran of the Month: 2nd Lt. Sarah Page, Ward 4
EXECUTIVE SESSION pursuant to SDCL 1-25-2(3) to consult with legal counsel regarding pending litigation.
3. No. CC012114-04.1 - Direction to Staff regarding Wynia, et. al. v. City of Rapid City, et. al.
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS -- Items 4 57
Open Public Comment Items 4 46
Close Public Comment
CONSENT ITEMS Items 4 46
Remove Items from the Consent Items and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
4. Approve Minutes for the January 6, 2014 Regular Council meeting.
Vacations of Right-Of-Way Set for Hearing (NONE)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications Set for Hearing (February 3, 2014)
5. Sumo Corp DBA Sumo, 214 E St Joseph St for a Retail (on-off sale) Wine License
6. Sumo Corp DBA Sumo, 214 E St Joseph St for a Retail (on-off sale) Malt Beverage License
7. MG Oil Company DBA Corner Pantry, 2130 LaCrosse St for a Package (off-sale) Liquor License TRANSFER from Debra Erickson DBA Corner Pantry, 2130 LaCrosse St
8. Pennington County Democratic Party for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for February 21, 2014 at Prairie Edge, 606 Main Street
9. Rapid City Library Foundation for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine License for an Event Scheduled for February 4, 2014 and March 4, 2014 at Rapid City Public Library, 610 Quincy Street
10. Performing Arts Center of Rapid City for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for Events Scheduled for February 14-15, 2014; February 21-23, 2014; March 1, 2014; March 21-23, 2014; March 26-30, 2014; April 12, 2014; May 9-11, 2014; and May 14-18, 2014 at the Performing Arts Center, 601 Columbus Street
Public Works Committee Consent Items
11. No. PW011414-02 Approve Change Order #3F to Rockingtree Landscaping Inc. for Memorial Park Irrigation Improvements, Project No. 12-2002 / CIP No. 50896, for a decrease of $1,137.05.
12. No. PW011414-03 Approve Change Order #1F to J&J Asphalt Company for Pavement Rehabilitation Project Circle Drive and Hall Street, Project No. 13-2108 / CIP No. 50844, for a decrease of $5,290.41.
13. No. PW011414-04 Approve Change Order #6 to Moltz Construction, Inc. for Jackson Springs Water Treatment Plant, Project No. WTP10-1858 / CIP No. 50789, for an increase in the Contract Price of $2,989.00.
14. No. PW011414-05 Approve Change Order #2 to Mainline Contracting Inc. for Kansas City Street Reconstruction Project 5th Street to East Boulevard, Project No. 12-2005 / CIP No. 50119, for an increase of $112,634.92.
15. No. PW011414-06 Approve Change Order #2 to Scull Construction Service Inc. for Rapid City Landfill Citizen Campus Construction, Project No. 13-2057 / CIP No. 61500, for an increase of $35,237.81.
16. No. PW011414-07 Approve Change Order #7 to Dean Kurtz Construction Company for Elk Vale Lift Station Upgrades, Project No. 11-1999 / CIP No. 50728, for a decrease of $3,691.00.
17. No. PW011414-08 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Grandview Drive and Nevada Drive Robbinsdale Area Utility and Street Reconstruction, Project No. 13-2102 / CIP No. 50421.3-4. Estimated Cost: $1,100,000.00.
18. No. PW011414-09 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for West Chicago Street Utilities Breakout Project - Saint Onge Street to Deadwood Avenue, Project No. 14-2161 / CIP No. 50448.1. Estimated Cost: $825,000.00.
19. No. PW011414-10 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Covenant Agreement Between the City of Rapid City and GWH Properties, LLC to Permit Certain Encroachments in Pedestrian and Utility Easement for the property generally located at the southwest corner of Minnesota Street and Wisconsin Avenue.
20. No. PW011414-11 Request Authorization to Seek Proposals for Professional Services for the Water Reclamation Facility (WRF) Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Improvements; Project No. 14-2159 / CIP No. 51022.
21. No. PW011414-12 Request Authorization to Seek Proposals for Professional Services for the Well No.13 (Red Rock) Well House; Project No. 13-2124 / CIP No. 50805.
22. No. PW011414-13 Request Authorization to Seek Proposals for Engineering Services for Saint Andrew and Saint Charles Sanitary Sewer and Water Extension and Reconstruction, Project No. 14-2168 / CIP No. 50959.
23. No. PW011414-14 Request Authorization to Seek Proposals for Engineering Services for Cobalt Drive Sanitary Sewer Bypass, Project No. 14-2127 / CIP No. 50957.
24. No. PW011414-15 Acknowledge request to continue Downtown Parking Ramp Request Recommendations to the January 28, 2014, Public Works Committee Meeting.
25. No. PW011414-16 Authorize Staff to apply for, and accept if awarded, a grant from the South Dakota Department of Environmental and Natural Resources for Event Recycling Program.
26. No. PW011414-17 Request to Purchase One (1) New Current Year Model 1/2 Ton 4x4 Pickup from McKie Ford using State Bid Contract #16546 for $24,036.00.
27. No. PW011414-18 Authorize staff to apply for, and accept if awarded, grants from US Tennis Association and USTA Regional Northern Section to replace windscreens at Sioux Park and Parkview Tennis Complexes.
28. No. PW011414-19 Acknowledge applicant's withdrawal of the Request from Tom Udager for a Waiver of Regulations to Repair or Replace the Septic System Located at 3618 Ridge Drive.
29. Acknowledge the discussion on waiving the hookup fee.
30. No. PW011414-20 Acknowledge Recognition of Traffic Operations Employees for the Jackson Boulevard Project.
31. No. PW123113-20 Acknowledge the letter from Carmen and Mike Derby to terminate the Golf Course Food and Beverage Concession Agreement.
32. Authorize staff to Seek Proposals for the Golf Course Food and Beverage Concession Service.
Legal & Finance Committee Consent Items
33. No. LF011514-01 Status of Implementation of Compass Recommendations
34. No. LF011514-02 Confirm Appointment of Robert Rowell and Tom Sitzler to the Mayor's Committee for People with Disabilities
35. No. LF011514-04 - Resolution No. 2014-006 Declaring Miscellaneous Personal Property Surplus
36. No. LF011514-05 Resolution No. 2014-008 Establishing 2014 Encumbrances
37. No. LF011514-06 - Approve Request for Property Tax Abatement as Follows: Lighthouse Partnership, 2013, $2,846.92; Curtis or Shirley Rising, 2013, $389.78; Ramsey Kendall, 2013, $3,416.06
38. No. LF011514-07 Acknowledge November 2013 Sales Tax Report
39. No. LF011514-08 Acknowledge December 2013 General Fund Cash Balance Report
40. No. LF011514-09 Resolution No. 2014-010 to Approve Adding .25 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) to Parks and Recreation Budgeted Headcount
41. No. LF011514-10 Resolution No. 2014-011 to Amend the City of Rapid City's Compensation Plan by Establishing the Position of Recreation Facility Supervisor within Parks and Recreation
42. No. LF011514-11 Resolution No. 2014-012 to Approve Healthcare Committee Recommendation to Allocate $6,000 from Healthcare Fund to Invest in City Employee Wellness Program Initiatives in 2014
43. No. LF011514-12 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Local Governing Body Approval Form for Costello Companies' Whisper Rock Apartments Application to South Dakota Housing Development Authority for HOME Funds and Low Income Housing Tax Credits
44. Approve setting the Hearing on Suspension of Shotgun Willies Adult Oriented Business License for February 17, 2014, at 1:30 p.m.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Consent Items (NONE)
Continued Consent Items (NONE)
Bid Award Consent Items
45. No. CC012114-02.1 - City staff recommends all bids for Meadowbrook Galleries Demolition Project No. 13-2129 / CIP No. 51014 opened on January 14, 2014, to be rejected and authorize staff to re-advertise for bids.
46. No. CC012114-02.2 - Approve award of Total Bid for Low Level Water System Pressure Sustaining Valve, Project No. 13-2130 / CIP No. 51015 opened on January 14, 2014, to the lowest responsible bidder, Mainline Contracting, Inc., in the amount of $53,499.00
END OF CONSENT ITEMS
NON-CONSENT ITEMS Items 47 57
Open Public Comment Items 47 57
Close Public Comment
47. No. LF121113-15 Second Reading, Ordinance No. 5976, An Ordinance To Establish a Mobile Ice Cream Vendor License in the City of Rapid City by Adding Chapter 5.50 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
48. No. LF121113-16 Second Reading, Ordinance No. 5977, An Ordinance To Change the Process for City Authorization of Ice Cream Vending from Vehicles on City Streets from a Contract to a Mobile Ice Cream Vendor License by Amending Section 5.48.010 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
49. No. LF011514-13 First Reading, Ordinance No. 5978, Supplemental Appropriation No. 1 for 2014.
50. No. LF011514-14 First Reading, Ordinance No. 5979, An Ordinance to Codify the Method for Calculating the General Fund Cash Reserve Balance by Amending Section 2.40.140 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items
51. No. 13PL133 - A request by Dream Design International, Inc. for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lots 6 thru 21 of Block 7, Lots 16 thru 29 of Block 9 and Vinecliff Drive right-of-way of Elks Crossing for property general located east of Marlin Drive, north of East Minnesota Street.
52. No. 13PL134 - A request by Centerline for Lazy P6 Land Co. Inc for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lot 20 of Block 1 of Gemstone Subdivision for property general located at the northeast corner of the intersection of Sandra Lane and Topaz Lane.
53. No. 13PL135 - A request by Dream Design International, Inc. for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lot 1 of Block 5 of Big Sky Business Park for property general located at the northeast corner of the intersection of Berniece Street and Neel Street.
54. No. 13PL136 - A request by Fisk Land Surveying and Consulting Engineers, Inc for E. Jason Stamper, Stamper Black Hills Gold Jewelry Inc. for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lots 1 and 2 of Stamper Subdivision for property general located at 7201 S. Highway 16.
55. No. 13PL137 - A request by FMG Inc for GWH Properties LLC for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Lots A and B of Lot 2 of Block 2 of Minnesota Park Subdivision for property general located south of Minnesota Street and west of Wisconsin Avenue.
56. No. 13PL138 - A request by Dream Design International, Inc for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for proposed Tracts D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, and L, Tracts 1 and 2, Lots 1 thru 14 Of Block 1, Lots 1 thru 18 of Block 2, Lots 1 thru 35 of Block 3, Lots 1 thru 17 of Block 4, Lots 1 thru 31 of Block 5, Lots 1 thru 33 of Block 6 of Orchard Meadows for property general located at south east of the intersection of Elk Vale Road and South Dakota Highway 44.
Legal & Finance Committee Items
Public Works Committee Items
Compass Committee Items
CIP Committee Items
Other Board, Commission & Committee Items
57. No. CC012114-04.2 - Report from the Rapid City Regional Airport Board - Airport Executive Director Cameron Humphres, Airport Board President Lisa Modrick, Airport Board Vice President Ray Carpenter
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications (NONE)
Council Items & Liaison Reports
Motion for Delivery of Items from Committee
Planning Commission Appeals
Other Appeals Heard by the Council
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Items 58 62
Open Public Hearing - Items 58 62 [Public Hearing Remains Open]
CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARING CONSENT ITEMS (NONE)
END OF CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARINGS CONSENT ITEMS
Close Public Hearing - Items 58 - 62
CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Item 58 - 62
Remove Items from the Consent Public Hearing Items and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items
58. No. 13CA017 - A request by Dream Design International, Inc for an Amendment to the Comprehensive Plan to revise the Major Street Plan to realign a proposed principal arterial street and a proposed collector street for property general located approximately 2,500 east of the intersection of Dunsmore Road and Sheridan Lake Road.
59. Knights of Columbus Council #8844 for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine License for an Event Scheduled for February 28, 2014 at Blessed Sacrament Church, 4500 Jackson Boulevard
Retail (on-sale) Liquor License Renewals for 2014
60. Roadway LLC DBA Roadway LLC, 2208 Mount Rushmore Road for a Retail (on-sale) Liquor License
61. Kol LLC DBA Dublin Square, 504 Mt Rushmore Rd for a Retail (on-sale) Liquor License
62. No. LF011514-03 Resolution No. 2013-123B Levying Assessment for Cleanup of Miscellaneous Property
Other Items Requiring Public Hearings
END OF CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING CALENDAR
NON-CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS (NONE)
63. No. CC012114-01 Bill List for January 21, 2014