Please remember to turn all cell
phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
Please remember to turn all cell phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
AGENDA FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
6:30 P.M., Monday, May 5, 2014
ROLL CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
INVOCATION (You are welcome to participate, but not required)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Holocaust Proclamation “National Days of Remembrance”
2. Holocaust Video – Why we remember the Holocaust
3. Book Presentation – Paul Priest, WWII Veteran
EXECUTIVE SESSION to consult with legal counsel about proposed and/or pending litigation pursuant to SDCL 1-25-2(3) regarding Meidinger v. Rapid City et.al. and Agenda Item #41-LF043014-08
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS -- Items 4 – 43
Open Public Comment – Items 4 – 37
Close Public Comment
CONSENT ITEMS – Items 4 – 37
Remove Items from the “Consent Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
4. Approve Minutes for the April 21, 2014 Regular Council meeting.
Vacations of Right-Of-Way Set for Hearing (NONE)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications Set for Hearing (May 19, 2014)
5. Karen Schumacher DBA Brass Rail Lounge, 624 St Joseph Street (Lot 21, Block 84, Original Town) for a Retail (on-sale) Liquor License TRANSFER to Karen Schumacher DBA Brass Rail Lounge, 624 St Joseph Street (S85 ft of Lot 20-21, Block 84, Original Town)
Public Works Committee Consent Items
6. No. PW042914-17 – Approve Utility Support Funding of $1,500,000.00 for the Utility Maintenance Facility, $2,500,000.00 for the Jolly Lane Reservoir Road Sewer Trunk, and $1,110,000.00 for Big Sky Subdivision Repairs – Utility Support Fund and SAB 28 Fund Oversight Committee.
7. No. PW042914-18 – Approve SAB 28 Funding of $1,500,000.00 for the Utility Maintenance Facility – Utility Support Fund and SAB 28 Fund Oversight Committee.
9. No. PW042914-04 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Knollwood and Haines Intersection Improvements, Project No. 13-2122 / CIP No. 50965. Estimated Cost: $70,000.00.
10. No. PW042914-05 – Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Pavement Rehabilitation Project – College Ave / Hawthorne Ave / Franklin St, Project No. 14-2165 / CIP No. 50844. Estimated Cost: $300,000.00.
11. No. PW042914-06 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Release of Covenant Agreement Between the City of Rapid City and VSADD Holdings, LLC for Sharing the Cost of Extending a Sewer Main to Serve 2020 Jackson Boulevard.
12. No. PW042914-07 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Amendment No. 2 between Kadrmas, Lee and Jackson and the City of Rapid City for East North/East Boulevard from St. Joseph Street to North Cambell Street, Project No. 08-1511 / CIP No. 50142, in the amount of $46,143.00.
13. No. PW042914-08 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Bartlett & West Inc for Professional Services for Red Rocks Booster Pump Station Upgrades, Project No. 14-2177 / CIP No. 50812.B, in the amount of $124,956.00.
14. No. PW042914-09 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Bartlett & West Inc for Professional Services for Pressure Reducing Valve Stations Facility Plan, Project No. 14-2179 / CIP No. 50812.E, in the amount of $39,829.00.
15. No. PW042914-10 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Highway Improvement Inc for Asphalt Surface Crack Sealing, Project No. 14-2188.
16. No. PW042914-11 – Authorize Lowering the Percentage of Work that the General Contractor Must Perform from 50% to 35% for the Horace Mann Park Pool Replacement, Project No. 11-1942.
17. No. PW042914-12 – Request Authorization to Seek Proposals for “Water Utility System Master Plan Update/Model Recalibration, Project No. 13-2141 / CIP 50817”; “Wastewater Utility System Master Plan Update/Model Recalibration, Project No. 14-2192 / CIP 50819”; and “Utility Rate Study, Project No. 14-2191 / CIP No. 50935.”
18. No. PW042914-21 – Authorize staff to purchase One Toro, Medium Duty Wide Coverage Gang Type Rotary Blade Riding Mower from Midwest Turf and Irrigation, subject to NASPO Contract #E194-1485 and SD Contract #16566, in the amount of $57,143.20.
19. No. PW042914-14 – Deny the Oversize Agreement with Yasmeen Dream, LLC for Elderberry Boulevard in Orchard Meadows Subdivision.
20. No. PW042914-19 – Acknowledge the Denial of Funding of $116,000.00 for the Orchard Meadows Street Oversize from the Utility Support Fund and SAB 28 Fund Oversight Committee and refer this to the CIP Committee.
Legal & Finance Committee Consent Items
22. No. LF043014-01 – Approve the Addition of 10 Hour Parking Meters to the 400 Block of St. Joseph Street
23. No. LF043014-02 – Final Approval of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) FY2014 Annual Action Plan
24. No. LF043014-03 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Federal Assistance SF-424 and CDBG Certifications
25. No. LF043014-04 - Resolution No. 2014-048 Declaring Miscellaneous Personal Property Surplus
26. No. LF043014-05 - Resolution No. 2014-043A Fixing Time and Place for Hearing on Assessment Roll for Cleanup of Miscellaneous Property
27. No. 09TI003 – Resolution No. 2014-038 to Dissolve Tax Increment District No. 61
28. No. LF043014-06 – Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Time Extension of Project Funding for the Rapid City Historic Preservation Commission 2013-2014 CLG Grant
29. No. LF043014-07 – Resolution No. 2014-047 Endorsing the Rushmore Region Marketing Code of Conduct.
30. No. LF043014-09 – Approve Appeal of the Historic Sign Board Denial at 601 Columbus Street.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Consent Items (NONE)
Continued Consent Items (NONE)
Bid Award Consent Items
31. No. CC050514-02.1 – Award Total Bid for Aluminum Sulfate in the amount of $24,516.00 to Chemtrade Chemicals US LLC at the May 5, 2014 Council Meeting.
32. No. CC050514-02.2 – Award Total Bid for Hot Mixed Asphaltic Concrete opened on April 29, 2014, to the lowest responsible bidder, Hills Materials Company, in the amount of $158,700.00.
33. No. CC050514-02.3 – Award Total Bid for Ready Mixed Concrete opened on April 29, 2014, to the lowest responsible bidder, Pete Lien & Sons, Inc., in the amount of $77,725.00.
34. No. CC050514-02.4 – Award Total Bid for the Storm Water Utility Mini Excavator in the amount of $58,715.00 to Jenner Equipment at the May 5, 2014 Council Meeting.
35. No. CC050514-02.5 – Request authorization for staff to enter into negotiations for an automated fuel card system for Rapid Transit System as no bids were received.
36. No. CC050514-02.6 – Award Total Bid for Vacuum Street Sweeper in the amount of $247,940.00 to Sheehan Mack Sales & Equipment at the May 5, 2014 Council Meeting.
37. No. CC050514-02.7 – Award Total Bid for Articulating Motor Grader in the amount of $226,400.00 to RDO Equipment Co. at the May 5, 2014 Council Meeting.
END OF CONSENT ITEMS
NON-CONSENT ITEMS – Items 38 - 43
Open Public Comment – Items 38 - 43
Close Public Comment
38. No. 14RZ003 - First Reading, Ordinance 5989, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, Rezoning the within Described Property as requested by Shawn Brinkman for a Rezoning from Medium Density Residential District General Commercial District for property generally described as being located at 607 E. Madison Street.
39. No. 14OA005 – First Reading, Ordinance No. 5991, An Ordinance to Allow Pet Stores As A Conditional Use in the Central Business District by Amending Section 17.16.030 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
40. No. LF043014-10 – First Reading, Ordinance No. 5993, An Ordinance to Require Certain Adult Oriented Businesses to Provide an Unobstructed View in Patron Permitted Areas, to Define Knowledge as it Pertains to Licensees, and to Delineate the Hearing Process for Adverse Action Against Licensees in the City of Rapid City by Amending Chapter 5.70 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items (NONE)
Legal & Finance Committee Items
41. No. LF043014-08 – Request of Dr. Andrew Severson for Interpretation of 1993 Agreement with City
Public Works Committee Items
42. No. PW042914-15 – Request the Mayor to authorize staff to work with Mike Gould and Larry Blote and to bring back a recommendation on the Watermain Leaks and Damage for the properties located at 610 and 701 Main Street.
43. No. PW042914-16 – Petition to Remove the Barriers from the Intersection near Enchantment Road and Stumer Road – Tim Matthew, Enchanted Hills Home Owner's Association President.
Compass Committee Items
CIP Committee Items
Other Board, Commission & Committee Items
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications
Council Items & Liaison Reports
Motion for Delivery of Items from Committee
Planning Commission Appeals
Other Appeals Heard by the Council
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Items 44 - 47
Open Public Hearing - Items 44 - 47 [Public Hearing Remains Open]
CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARING CONSENT ITEMS (NONE)
END OF CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARINGS CONSENT ITEMS
Close Public Hearing - Items 44 - 47
CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Item 44 - 46
Remove Items from the “Consent Public Hearing Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items (NONE)
44. Big D Oil Co DBA Big D Oil Co. #45, 251 E Stumer Road for a Package (off-sale) Malt Beverage License
45. Museum of the American Bison for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for May 8, 2014 at Museum of the American Bison, 607 St Joseph Street
46. Museum of the American Bison for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for June 7, 2014 at Museum of the American Bison, 607 St Joseph Street
Other Items Requiring Public Hearings
END OF CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING CALENDAR
NON-CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS – Item 47
47. No. 14RZ002 - Second Reading, Ordinance 5986, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, Rezoning the within Described Property as requested by City of Rapid City for a Rezoning from Low Density Residential District to Public District for property generally described as being located at 818 Anamosa Street.
48. No. CC050514-01 – Bill List for May 20, 2014