Please remember to turn all cell
phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
Please remember to turn all cell phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
City Council Policies and Procedures
City Council Policies and Procedures
AGENDA FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
6:30 P.M., Monday, April 21, 2014
ROLL CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
INVOCATION (You are welcome to participate, but not required)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Veteran of the Month Trisha Gabbert
2. CASA Proclamation
3. Sustainability Award Robbinsdale Entertainment
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS -- Items 4 - 53
Open Public Comment Items 4 - 46
Close Public Comment
CONSENT ITEMS Items 4 - 46
Remove Items from the Consent Items and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
4. Approve Minutes for the April 7, 2014 Regular Council meeting.
Vacations of Right-Of-Way Set for Hearing (NONE)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications Set for Hearing (May 5, 2014)
5. Big D Oil Co DBA Big D Oil Co. #45, 251 E Stumer Road for a Package (off-sale) Malt Beverage License
6. Museum of the American Bison for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for May 8, 2014 at Museum of the American Bison, 607 St Joseph Street
7. Museum of the American Bison for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for June 7, 2014 at Museum of the American Bison, 607 St Joseph Street
Public Works Committee Consent Items
8. No. PW041514-02 Approve Updated Recommendation Water Advocacy Task Force.
9. No. PW041514-05 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Odor Control Chemical. Estimated Cost: $40,000.00.
10. No. PW041514-06 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Stormwater Jet Vacuum Truck. Estimated Cost: $370,000.00.
11. No. PW041514-07 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Journey Museum Sealant and Roof Repair, Project No. 13-2176 / CIP 50098. Estimated Cost: $40,000.00.
12. No. PW041514-08 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Waiver of Right to Protest (WORP) for future installation of Subdivision Improvements adjacent to future Tract 1R of Cedar Chase Subdivision, currently Tract 1 of the W½NW¼ less Lot A of Ranch Sub & less Highway Lot H1, H2, H3 and ROW of Section 26, T1N, R8E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota.
13. No. PW041514-09 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Letting Agreement for the Creek Drive Bridge Reconstruction Project, Project No. ST04-1241 / CIP No. 50309.
14. No. PW041514-10 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Permanent Utility Easement to West River Electric Association Inc. for an area at the Rapid City Sports Complex, Project No. 12-1849.
15. No. PW041514-11 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Section 5307 Urban Public Transportation Grant Agreement between the City of Rapid City and the State of South Dakota Department of Transportation.
16. No. PW041514-12 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Bartlett & West, Inc. for Professional Services for North Rapid Booster Station Reconstruction, Project No. 13-2080 / CIP 50812.A, in the amount of $459,470.00.
17. No. PW041514-13 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Bartlett & West, Inc. for Professional Services for Northridge Booster Pump Station and Stoney Creek Booster Pump Station Improvements, Project No. 14-2178 / CIP 50812.CD, in the amount of $29,398.00.
18. No. PW041514-18 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Vacation of Right-of-Way Application and Petition to Vacate a 30 foot wide right-of-way from Renner and Associates, LLC for VSADD Holdings, LLC for the property located along the north lot line of Lot 5, Block 2, Rapid River Subdivision, Section 3, T1N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, SD, more generally described as 2020 Jackson Boulevard.
19. No. PW041514-14 Request Authorization to Seek Proposals for Farming at the Water Reclamation Remediation Site.
20. No. PW041514-15 Request Authorization to Seek Proposals for Alfalfa/Hay Harvest.
21. No. PW041514-16 Request Authorization to Seek Proposals for Purchase of Ultraviolet (UV) Disinfection Equipment for WRF UV Disinfection System and Post Aeration System Improvements, Project No. 14-2157/CIP No. 51017. Estimated Cost: $1,400,000.00.
22. No. 14RD001 Hills View Subdivision #2 - A request by City of Rapid City to consider a Resolution for Road Name Change from West St. Patrick Street to Audubon Circle for property generally described as West St. Patrick Street between Hills View Drive and Red Dale Drive.
23. No. PW041514-17 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Memorandum of Understanding with Northwestern Engineering Company for Entry Unto Property for Fuel Treatment for Wildfire Mitigation.
24. No. PW041514-03 Approve Change Order #2 to Site Work Specialists, Inc. for Landfill Cell 16 Expansion Construction, Project No. 13-2111, for an increase of $70,976.65.
25. No. PW041514-04 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Horace Mann Park Pool Replacement, Project No. PR11-1942 / CIP No. 50864. Estimated Cost: $6,800,000.00.
26. No. PW041514-19 Acknowledge Report on Request for Clarification of Charges for Property Cleanup at 105 Quincy Street
27. No. PW041514-23 Acknowledge Report on Water Reclamation Division
Legal & Finance Committee Consent Items
28. No. LF041614-01 Confirm Appointment of Jamie Al-Haj to the Human Relations Commission
29. No. LF041614-02 Resolution No. 2014-046 to Donate Property No Longer Needed for Municipal Purposes to the Humane Society of the Black Hills
30. No. LF041614-11 Approve Special Event Application for Rapid City Downtown Association Girls Day Out
31. No. LF041614-03 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Local Government Certification by the Chief Executive Officer (Working Against Violence, Inc.)
32. No. 14TP009 Approve the Rapid City Year-end 2013 Population Estimate
33. No. 14TP010 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to sign Lease Agreement with SDDOT for rail banked railroad right-of-way within Rapid City
34. No. 14TP013 Authorize submission of the SD Department of Health's Walk Audit Grant and Receipt of Funds associated with the grant
35. No. LF041614-10 - Authorize Submission of the Historic Preservation Commission Certified Local Government Grant Application for 2014-2015 and Receipt of Funds Associated with the Grant
36. No. 14TP004/14TP005 Approve the 2014 Unified Planning Work Program Amendment 2014-01 and Amendment #1 to the 2014 Unified Planning Work Program Agreement #311181
37. Acknowledge the Following Volunteers for Worker's Compensation Purposes: Shawn Calvetti, Eric Fajgl, Chase Ramirez, Micah Erdos, Michaela Zabczyk, and Shailee Tschaker
38. No. LF041614-05 - Acknowledge February 2014 Sales Tax Report
39. No. LF041614-06 Acknowledge March 2014 General Fund Cash Balance Report
40. No. LF041614-07 Acknowledge report by Donovan Broberg, ARC International regarding Rushmore Plaza Civic Center Public Forum Schedule.
41. No.LF041614-08 Approve request from RPCC Board of Directors for monies, not to exceed $50,000, for additional wheelchair accessibility in the Barnett Arena with the funds coming from the Vision Fund.
42. No. LF041614-09 Approve Resolution 2014-045 Authorizing the City of Rapid City to Become a Member of the Rushmore Regional Railroad Authority and Authorizing the Mayor and Finance Officer to Execute the Agreement Creating the Authority.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Consent Items (NONE)
Continued Consent Items (NONE)
Bid Award Consent Items
43. No. CC040714-02.2 City Staff Recommends All Bids for Main Street Water Valve Repair Project, Project No. 08-1761 / CIP No. 50705 opened on April 1, 2014, be rejected.
44. No. CC042114-02.1 Approve award of Total Base Bid for West Chicago Street Utilities Breakout Project, Saint Onge Street to Deadwood Avenue, Project No. 14-2161 / CIP No. 50448.1, opened on April 15, 2014, to the lowest responsible bidder Mainline Contracting, Inc., in the amount of $968,995.55.
45. No. CC042114-02.2 Authorize staff to re-advertise for bids for Utility Cut Portland Cement Concrete Replacement as no bids were received.
46. No. CC042114-02.3 Approve award of Total Bid for Four (4) 2014 Paratransit Vehicles opened on April 15, 2014, to the lowest responsive bidder, Telin Transportation Group, in the amount of $324,628.00.
END OF CONSENT ITEMS
NON-CONSENT ITEMS Items 47 - 53
Open Public Comment Items 47 - 53
Close Public Comment
47. No. LF040214-18 Second Reading, Ordinance No. 5988, An Ordinance to Prohibit Certain Use of Handheld Electronic Wireless Communication Devices While Driving in the City of Rapid City by Adding Section 10.12.410 to the Rapid City Municipal Code.
48. No. 14RZ002 - First Reading, Ordinance 5986, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, Rezoning the within Described Property as requested by City of Rapid City for a Rezoning from Low Density Residential District to Public District for property generally described as being located at 818 Anamosa Street.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items
49. No. 14PL014 - A request by Davis Engineering, Inc., for Arlene Murphy Estate, Dennis Murphy, Personal Representative for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for Lots 2 thru 7 of Block 1, Lots 14 thru 27 of Block 3, Lots 1 thru 4 of Block 9, Lot 6 of Block 11, Lots 1 thru 11 of Block 12 and Lot 1 of Block 13 of Murphy Ranch Estates generally described as being located east of Reservoir Road on the south side of Long View Road.
Legal & Finance Committee Items (NONE)
Public Works Committee Items
50. No. PW041514-20 Destination Rapid City Request to Reconsider Downtown Parking Lot as Presented at the January 28, 2014, Public Works Committee Meeting Dan Senftner.
51. No. PW041514-21 Canyon Lake Project Ev Hoyt.
Compass Committee Items
52. No. CC042114-04.1 - City Wide Cash Handling II Audit Report (Audit Report 13-03). This audit report was approved by the COMPASS Committee on January 13, 2014. Compass Committee Chairman Coleen Schmidt; Chief Auditor Kelan Kelly
53. No. CC040214-04.2 - Airport Car Rental and Parking Contracts Audit Report (Audit Report 13-02). This audit report was approved by the COMPASS Committee on January 13, 2014. Compass Committee Chairman Coleen Schmidt; Chief Auditor Kelan Kelly
CIP Committee Items
Other Board, Commission & Committee Items
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications
Council Items & Liaison Reports
Motion for Delivery of Items from Committee
Planning Commission Appeals
Other Appeals Heard by the Council
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Items 54 - 63
Open Public Hearing - Items 54 - 63
CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARING CONSENT ITEMS (NONE)
END OF CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARINGS CONSENT ITEMS
Close Public Hearing - Items 54 - 63
CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Item 54 - 62
Remove Items from the Consent Public Hearing Items and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items
54. No. 14VR001 - Section 6, T1N, R8E - A request by FMG Inc. for South Dakota School of Mines & Technology to consider an application for a Vacation of Right of Way for property generally described as being located in that portion of Hawthorne Avenue lying north of East St. Andrew Street.
55. No. 14CA001 - Sections 6, T1N, R8E - A request by City of Rapid City to consider an application for an Amendment to the Comprehensive Plan to revise the Major Street Plan by removing and realigning proposed collector streets for property generally described as being located between East St. Andrew Street and East St. James Street between Elm Street and East St. Joseph Street
56. Museum of the American Bison for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for April 26, 2014 at Museum of the American Bison, 607 St Joseph Street
57. Rushmore German Club for a SPECIAL EVENT Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for August 15-23, 2014 at the Central States Fair, 800 San Francisco
58. Rapid City Summer Nights, Inc. for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Outdoor Event Scheduled for Thursday Evenings beginning June 5, 2014 through August 28, 2014 (13 individual events), on 7th Street and Main Street.
59. Rapid City Libraries Foundation for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine License for an Event Scheduled for May 6, 2014, June 3, 2014, July 1, 2014, and August 5, 2014 at the Rapid City Public Library, 610 Quincy Street
60. James Goodwin DBA Rummy's Dart Pub, 200 E Main Street for a Retail (on-off sale) Malt Beverage License
61. Joe Lowe for Governor for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for May 1, 2014 at Prairie Edge, 606 Main Street
62. No. LF041614-04 Resolution No. 2014-028B Levying Assessment for Cleanup of Miscellaneous Property
Other Items Requiring Public Hearings
END OF CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING CALENDAR
NON-CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Item 63
63. No. 14CA002 Approve Resolution 2014-044 to Amend the Comprehensive Plan by adopting Plan Rapid City, Rapid City's Comprehensive Plan.
64. No. CC042114-01 Bill List for April 21, 2014