ADA Compliance: The City of Rapid City fully subscribes to the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you desire to attend this public meeting and are in need of special accommodations, please notify the City Finance Office 24 hours prior to the meeting so that appropriate auxiliary aids and services are available.
Please remember to turn all cellular phones off or to vibrate when entering the council chambers.
FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
January 2, 2007 -- 7:00 P.M.(Note, as a result of the adoption of the City Council Policies & Procedures, the format of the agenda has changed.)
CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
APPROVE MINUTES of
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Citizen of the Month, 1st Quarter 2007
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS -- Items 2 - 45
Public Comment opened
Public Comment closed
CONSENT ITEMS – Items 2 - 30
Remove Items from the “Consent Items” and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Public Works Committee Consent Items
PW122606-01 - Authorize staff to proceed with Option 1 to replace the
existing 100-watt bulbs with 250- watt bulbs as it relates to the installation
of additional street lights on
PW122606-03 – Approve Change Order No. 1 for
4. No. PW122606-04 – Authorize staff to advertise for bids for Highway 44 and Elk Vale Road Water Main Loop Project No. W03-1248 / CIP # 50371.
5. No. PW122606-05 – Authorize the Mayor and Finance Officer to sign Water Construction Fee Resolution for South Pointe Subdivision.
6. No. PW122606-06 – Authorize the Mayor and Finance Officer to sign Amendment No. 2 to the Professional Services Agreement with MWH Soft, Inc. for water and waste water modeling software Project No. PW05-1447 / CIP #50617 to upgrade the water modeling software portion for an amount not to exceed $4,000.00.
7. No. PW122606-07 – Authorize the Mayor and Finance Officer to sign Amendment No. 3 to the Professional Services Agreement with CETEC Engineering Services, Inc. for the Country Road Regional Lift Station Project No. SS03-1255 / CIP #50376 for an amount not to exceed 6,872.00.
8. No. PW122606-08 – Authorize the Mayor and Finance Officer to sign a Professional Services agreement with enVision Design, Inc. for the Major Drainage Facilities Overview Report; Project No. DR07-1614 / CIP #50665 for an amount not to exceed $49,997.00.
9. No. PW122606-09 – Approve a Transfer of Highway Lot H4 near I90 Exit 55 to the South Dakota Department of Transportation.
PW122606-10 – Set time and date for hearing on
PW122606-11 – Approve a request to consider ordering in sidewalk on the
north side of
PW122606-13 – Authorize the purchase of miscellaneous oil, air, and fuel
filters for City owned equipment from Hedahl’s Parts Plus in
Legal & Finance Committee Consent Items
LF122706-01 - SDSU – Approve request to
14. Approve request by Gilbert Jumping Eagle, Lakota, Ink to place a sandwich board on sidewalk, and ask the City Attorney’s office to prepare the appropriate agreement to allow the sandwich board on the sidewalk.
15. No. LF122706-03 – Approve appointment of Jim White to the Beautification Committee.
16. No. LF122706-04 – Approve appointment of Van Lindquist and Wes Storm to the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board.
17. No. LF122706-05 – Approve appointment of Bob Warax and Kale McNaboe to the Trenching Board.
18. No. LF111506-02 - Request the Mayor to send a letter to the ATTA group and request that they formally meet as a committee.
19. No. LF122706-06 – Acknowledge Capital Improvements Program Committee monthly update for December, 2006.
20. No. LF122706-07 – Approve 2006 Capital Plan for Streets, Drainage and MIP Projects for December, 2006.
LF122706-08 – Include the
22. No. LF122706-09 – Approve the Parks and Recreation CIP Project carry forward in the amount of $881,829.52 to 2007.
23. Approve the request to carry forward the Main Fire Station Exhaust Ventilation System project in the amount of $60,000 in Government Buildings to 2007.
24. Approve a request to apply for Highway Safety Grant.
25. No. LF122706-11 – Approve a Resolution Writing Off Uncollectible Ambulance Billing Accounts.
26. No. LF122706-12 – Approve revisions to City’s DOT Drug and Alcohol Policy.
LF122706-13 – Approve Amendment to Professional Service Agreement by and
Between the City of
28. No. LF122706-14 – Approve a request from Ken Krzyzanowski, d/b/a Mr. Rags Ice Cream, to Renew Ice Cream Vendor’s License for 2007.
Approve the following
licenses: House Mover: Geoff
Hooper, Dakota Hills Housemoving; Residential Contractor: Allan Ange, Harney Peak Construction; Dale &
Cory Claymore, Claymore’s Construction; Robert Burgard, Burgard Construction;
Kurt Olson, Owl Creek Enterprises; R Chris Howie, Howie Construction LLC; Steve
Mousel, Mousel Construction Inc; Daene Boomsma, Boom Construction; Robert Burns,
Earthorizons Inc; Wayne Johnson, Anchor Construction; Jeffrey Ogaard, Jeff’s Construction;
Scott Sogge, Remodel-King Construction Inc; Mike Wieseler, Century Builders Inc;
Matthew Jackson, The Timbor Tailor; Gerald Fines, Triple J Construction Corp;
Al Luond, Luond Inc; Victor Mantei, V & R Construction; Dale Tipton, Energy
Smart Homes Inc; Tom Klein, Tom Klein Construction; Stephen Mendel, Mendel’s Masonry
& Concrete; Dave Asbridge, Highmark Builders; Dennis Barrow, Plumb Line Construction
Inc; Roger Johnsen, Stanley J Johnsen Concrete; Thomas Carpenter, Carpenter Enterprises;
Patrick McGough, McGough Construction; Shad Fetters, Fetters Construction; Trent
& Todd Pulis, Pulis Construction; Dennis Bertalot, Bertalot Construction;
Michael Lewis, Mike Lewis Construction; Wayne & David Gustafson, Gustafson
Builders; Dan O’Brien, D & B Investments; Patric Traxinger, T & P Builders;
Leon Wikle, Nationwide Building Services; Dan Holsworth, G J Holsworth & Son
Inc; Kenneth Johnson, Johnson Remodeling; John Loerzel, Loerzel Construction;
Stephen Jensen, Handyman Services; Marty Quinn, Elite Concrete & Construction;
Scott Craig, Jul-Mar Development; Marvin Forkner, Forkner Contracting; Milton
Genzlinger, Del’s Construction Inc; Kenneth Tipton, Mike Tipton & Sons Construction;
Perry Grosz, Custom Carpentry; Richard Quinn, Lost Cabin Constructors Inc; Jeremy
Olson, Olson Services; Chester Marshall, Dakota Sun;
Growth Management Department Consent Items
30. No. 06PL182 - A request by Dream Design International, Inc. for a Preliminary Plat on Tracts A and B of Tract G of McMahon Subdivision, located in the NE1/4 SW1/4, Section 24, T2N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, legally described as Tracts E-1, E-2 and G of McMahon Subdivision, located in the NE1/4 SW1/4, Section 24, T2N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, located at the southeast corner of the intersection of Kathryn Avenue and Champion Drive.
END OF CONSENT CALENDAR
Public Comment opened – Items 31 - 45
Public Comment closed
NON-CONSENT ITEMS – Items 31 - 45
31. No. LF122706-17 - First Reading, Ordinance No. 5231 Allowing the Rapid City Common Council to Issue Revenue Bonds to Support the Rapid City Economic Development and Civic Improvements Fund by Amending Subsection “B” of Section 3.16.020 of the Rapid City Municipal Code
GROWTH MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT ITEMS
LEGAL & FINANCE COMMITTEE ITEMS
LF122706-02 – Uphold the DARB Board decision regarding demolition of
33. Request the City Attorney’s Office to prepare an ordinance change that sets forth a running 5 year plan in 2012.
LF111506-01A – Skyline Drive Preservation, Inc., transfer of Skyline Wilderness
Area to City of
PUBLIC WORKS COMMITTEE ITEMS
PW122606-02 - Flashing lights on
36. No. PW122606-12 - Accept Option B -- to encase the existing sewer line under the Cornerstone Traditional Housing building; and request the City Attorney’s Office to draft an agreement outlining responsibilities of the property owner and liability of the City
37. No. PW122606-14 - Authorize Dream Design International, Inc. to prepare H-lot plats for the two portions of right-of-way needed for the extension of Eglin Street; authorize the Mayor to request the South Dakota Department of Transportation to transfer the two parcels to the City of Rapid City for the City street system; and authorize acceptance of the two parcels onto the City of Rapid City street system.
CC010207-02 - Eight (8) 2007 Ford Crown Victoria Police Cars for the Rapid
City Police Department (opened
CC010207-02 - One (1) New 2007 ADA Raised Floor Accessible Transit Vehicle
CC010207-02 - Two (2) New 2007 Accessible
CC010207-02 - Three (3) New 2007 ADA Accessible Raised Floor Paratransit
CC010207-02 - Two (2) Front End Loaders for Street Division (opened
43. 2012 Report
COUNCIL ITEMS & LIAISON REPORTS
44. Request for expedited construction for Well #12, Aldermen Kooiker, Schumacher
45. Budget Reserve discussion, Alderman Schumacher
Motion for Delivery of Items from Committee
License application appeals
Sign Code Appeals
Other Appeals Heard by the Council
CIP COMMITTEE ITEMS
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS
Open Public Hearings (comment) -- Items 46 – 64
CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARINGS CONSENT ITEMS – Items 46 - 54
Remove Items from the “Continued Public Hearings Consent Items” and Vote on Remaining Continued Public Hearings Consent Items
Continue the following items until January 15, 2007:
46. No. 06PL087 - A request by Centerline, Inc. for PLM Development, LLC for a Preliminary Plat on Lots 16 thru 35, Block 1; Lots 17 thru 38, Block 2; and Lots 1 thru 6 in Block 4, PLM Subdivision, formerly a parcel of land located in the NW1/4, Section 24; and the SW1/4 SW1/4, Section 13, T1N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, legally described as a parcel of land located in the NW1/4, Section 24; and the SW1/4 SW1/4, Section 13, T1N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, located south of Minnesota Street and West of Fifth Street.
47. No. 06PL090 - A request by Dream Design International for a Preliminary Plat on Lots 1 thru 5 of Block 1, Lots 1 thru 10 of Block 2, Lots 1 thru 4 of Block 3, Lots 1 and 26 of Block 6, Lot 1 of Block 7, Lots 1 and 36 thru 41 of Block 8, Lots 1 thru 11 of Block 9, Lots 1 thru 13 of Block 10, Lots 1 thru 30 of Block 11 and Lot A and Lots 1 thru 23 of Block 12 and Dedicated Right-of-Way, Elks Meadows Subdivision, located in the E1/2 NE1/4, Section 21, T1N, R8E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, legally described as the unplatted portion of the E1/2 NE1/4, Section 21, T1N, R8E, BHM, Pennington County, South Dakota, located east of the intersection of Elk Vale Road and Old Folsom Road.
48. No. 06PL103 - A request by CETEC Engineering, Inc. for Park Hill Development, Inc. for a Preliminary Plat on Lots 18 thru 35, Block 2; Lots 14 thru 25, Block 5; and the dedicated public right-of-way, Park Meadows Subdivision, located in the SW1/4 NE1/4, SE1/4 NE1/4, Section 7, T1N, R8E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, legally described as the unplatted balance of the SW1/4 NE1/4, SE1/4 NE1/4, less the Right-of-Way, Section 7, T1N, R8E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, located at the northern terminus of Smith Avenue.
49. No. 06PL133 - A request by Sperlich Consulting, Inc. for Doeck, LLC for a Preliminary Plat on Lots 16 thru 23, Block 1; Lots 1 thru 5, Block 3; Lots 1 thru 10, Block 4; Lots 1 thru 16, Block 5; Lots 1 thru 6, Block 6; and drainage Lot 1, Brookfield Subdivision, formerly a portion of the NE1/4 SE1/4, Section 13, located in the NE1/4 SE1/4, Section 13, T2N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, legally described as a portion of the NE1/4 SE1/4, Section 13, located in the NE1/4 SE1/4, Section 13, T2N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, located at the northern terminus of Three Rivers Drive.
50. No. 06PL162 - A request by Wyss Associates for Web Land Holdings, LLC for a Preliminary Plat on Lot 2, located in the SE1/4, formerly a portion of Lot A, located in the SE1/4 SE1/4; and a portion of the unplatted balance, all located in Section 11, T1N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, legally described as a portion of Lot A, located in the SE1/4 SE1/4; and a portion of the unplatted balance, all located in Section 11, T1N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, located west of the intersection of Tower Road and South Highway 16.
51. No. 06PL163 - A request by Wyss Associates for Web Land Holdings, LLC for a Preliminary Plat on Lot 1, located in the SE1/4, formerly a portion of the unplatted balance of the SE1/4, Section 11, T1N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, legally described as a portion of the unplatted balance of the SE1/4, Section 11, T1N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, located at the western terminus of Cathedral Drive.
52. No. 06SV012 - A request by Sperlich Consulting, Inc. for Sharon Norman for a Variance to the Subdivision Regulations to waive the requirement to install curb, gutter, sidewalk, street light conduit, water, sewer and pavement along Old Folsom Road, the Section Line Highway(s), the collector street and Norman Ranch Road as per Chapter 16.16 of the Rapid City Municipal Code on Lots 4A, 4B and 5R of Judicial Lot 4; and Lots 6 thru 17, Norman Ranch Subdivision, Section 28, T1N, R8E, BHM, Pennington County, South Dakota, legally described as Lots 4 and 5 of Judicial Lot 4 of Norman Ranch Subdivision; the N1/2 SW1/4; the NW1/4 SE1/4 lying southwest of Old Folsom Road less the south 99 feet of NW1/4 SE1/4; the N1/2 N1/2 SE1/4 SW1/4; the W1/2 SW1/4 SW1/4; the N1/2 NE1/4 SW1/4 SW1/4; the west 220 feet of the S1/2 NE1/4 SW1/4 SW1/4; and the west 220 feet of SE1/4 SW1/4 SW1/4; all located in Section 28, T1N, R8E, BHM, Pennington County, South Dakota, located southeast of the intersection of Highway 79 and Old Folsom Road.
06VR009 - A request by Dream Design International, Inc. for a Vacation of Right-of-Way on
06VR010 - A request by Centerline, Inc for PLM Development, LLC for a Vacation of Section Line Highway
on the section line right-of-way lying between
SE1/4 NE1/4, and Lot 15 of Enchanted Hills Subdivision No. 3 of Section 23, T1N,
R7E, and SW1/4 NW1/4 of Section 24, T1N, R7E, located at
END OF CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARINGS CONSENT ITEMS
Close Public Hearings (comment)
PUBLIC HEARING CONSENT ITEMS – Item 55 - 63
GROWTH MANAGEMENT ITEMS
Rapid City Library
Foundation, Inc. for a special Beer & Wine License for an event scheduled
dba Don’s Valley Express,
57. Porter Apple Company, Inc. dba Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar, 2160 Haines Avenue for a Retail (On-Sale) Liquor License TRANSFER from High Plains Securities, Inc. dba The Reef, 504 Mt. Rushmore Road
RETAIL (ON-SALE) LIQUOR LICENSE RENEWAL FOR 2007
58. Porter Apple Company, Inc. dba Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar, 2160 Haines Avenue for a Retail (On-Sale) Liquor License (In-Active)
George Motor &
Supple Company dba Murphy’s Bar,
60. Red Rock Golf Club, LLC dba Red Rock Golf Club, 6520 Birkdale Drive for a Retail (On-Sale) Liquor License with Sunday Opening
RETAIL (ON-SALE) WINE LICENSE RENEWAL FOR 2007
Ron J. Stevens
& Sandy K. Thornburg dba Meadowbrook Grill & Pub,
PACKAGE (OFF-SALE) LIQUOR LICENSE RENEWAL FOR 2007
Sooper Dooper Markets,
Inc. dba Sooper Dooper #1, 913 E.
PW103106-22 – Resolution Levying Assessment for
OTHER ITEMS REQUIRING PUBLIC HEARINGS
PUBLIC HEARING NON-CONSENT ITEMS – Item 64
06UR022 - An
appeal of the
CC010207-01 Bill List for