Please remember to turn all cell
phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
Please remember to turn all cell phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
AGENDA FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
6:30 P.M., October 15, 2012
ROLL CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Veteran of the Month
2. Citizen of the Month
3. Firewise Community Award Chapel Valley
4. Employee Awards
5. Rapid City Beautification Committee Yard of the Month
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS -- Items 6 - 51
Public Comment opened Items 6 - 36
Public Comment closed
CONSENT ITEMS Items 6 - 36
Remove Items from the Consent Items and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
6. Approve Minutes for the October 1, 2012 Regular Council meeting.
Vacations of Right-Of-Way Set for Hearing (NONE)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications Set for Hearing (November 5, 2012)
7. Youth & Family Services for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for February 8-9, 2013 at Youth & Family Services, 120 East Adams
8. Black Hills Arts Resource Center, Inc. DBA Performing Arts Center of Rapid City for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage license for an Event Scheduled for November 7-11, 2012 at the Performing Arts Center, 601 Columbus Street
9. Thrifty Smoke Shop Inc DBA Thrifty Smoke Shop III, 1101 W. Omaha St #3 for a Package (off-sale) Liquor License TRANSFER from Thrifty Smoke Shop Inc DBA Thrifty Smoke Shop III, 3030 W Main St, Suite B
10. Pure Bliss LLC DBA A Perfect 10 Nail & Beauty Bar, 36 E. Stumer Rd #118 for a Retail (on-off sale) Wine License
11. Pure Bliss LLC DBA A Perfect 10 Nail & Beauty Bar, 36 E. Stumer Rd #118 for a Retail (on-off sale) Malt Beverage License
Public Works Committee Consent Items
12. No. PW100912-02 Approve Change Order #6F to Upper Plains Contracting for Catron Boulevard Reconstruction Utility Relocation and Modification, Project No. SSW09-1819 / CIP No. 50495, for a decrease of $85,997.17.
13. No. PW100912-03 Approve Change Order #1F to Simon Contractors of SD Inc. for Pavement Rehabilitation Project Quincy Street, Project No. 12-1983 / CIP No. 50549, for a decrease of $339.61.
14. No. PW100912-05 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Waiver of Right to Protest a future assessment for the installation of sidewalk along Deadwood Avenue as it abuts Lot A of Lot 1 of the NW1/4SW1/4 of Section 27, T2N, R7E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota 1810 Deadwood Avenue.
15. No. PW100912-06 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement between the City of Rapid City and TSP Inc. for Design and Bidding Professional Services for Minnekahta Drive Area Watermain Reconstruction, Project No. 11-1980 / CIP No. 50826, in the amount of $96,081.00.
16. No. PW100912-07 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Amendment No. 2 to the Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Burns & McDonnell Engineering Company, Inc. for the Jackson Springs Water Treatment Plant-Construction Phase Services, Project No. WTP10-1858/CIP No. 50789, for a cost reduction of $55,479.00.
18. No. PW100912-09 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Amendment No. 1 to the Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Ferber Engineering Company Inc. for the Canyon Lake Drive Reconstruction Project, Project No. WTP10-878/CIP No. 50004, for $49,720.00.
19. No. PW100912-10 Request Authorization to Seek Proposals for Engineering Services for the Silver Street Interchange Utilities Reconstruction Project, 12-2053 / CIP No. 50940. Estimated Cost for Design and Construction: $1,400,000.00.
20. No. PW092512-21 Notice to Property Owners to Construct or Repair Sidewalks on portions of Canyon Lake Drive between Dakota Drive and Soo San Drive. (Continued from the September 25, 2012, Public Works Committee Meeting)
21. No. PW100912-11 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Memorandum of Understanding with Neighborhood Housing Services of the Black Hills, Inc., dba NeighborWorks Dakota Home Resources (NeighborWorks), and to sign a Quitclaim Deed transferring to NeighborWorks the City-owned property located at 820 Lemmon Avenue.
24. No. PW100912-14 Approve Resolution #2012-116 Providing for an Oversight Committee for the Utility Support Fund and SAB 28 Fund.
25. No. PW100912-04 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Shooting Star Well Abandonment, Project No. 12-2049 / CIP No. 50913. Estimated Cost: $10,000.00.
Legal & Finance Committee Consent Items
26. No. LF101012-01 Acknowledge Capital Improvement Program Committee Monthly Update for September 2012
27. No. LF101012-02 Approve Capital Plan for Street, Drainage and MIP Projects for September 2012
28. Acknowledge report by Katie Parker regarding the Mayor's Challenge in Pierre, South Dakota, on Saturday, October 6, 2012.
29. Acknowledge the Following Volunteer for Worker's Compensation Purposes: Susan Frantzick
30. No. LF101012-03 Resolution No. 2012-112A Fixing Time and Place for Hearing on Assessment Roll for Cleanup of Miscellaneous Property
31. No. LF101012-04 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign the Avesis Vision Benefit Premium Renewal, Effective January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2014
32. No. LF101012-05 Report Regarding Professional Service Contracts Entered into in the Third Quarter of 2012 Under $25,000
33. No. LF101012-11 Acknowledge raffle request from Rapid City Regional Hospital Foundation.
34. No. LF101012-08 Approve Resolution No. 2012-115 to Dissolve Certain Committees That Are No Longer Necessary.
35. No. LF101012-09 Approve Resolution No. 2012-113 to Amend the Solid Waste Collection Rate Relief Program by Amending Resolution No. 2012-091.
36. No. LF101012-10 Acknowledge Employee Grievance Process.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Consent Items (NONE)
Continued Consent Items (NONE)
END OF CONSENT ITEMS
NON-CONSENT ITEMS Items 37 51
Public Comment opened Items 37 - 51
Public Comment closed
37. No. PW092512-19 Second Reading, Ordinance No. 5870, An Ordinance to Revise the Terms of the Water Rate Relief Program by Amending Section 13.08.430C of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
38. No. PW092512-20 Second Reading, Ordinance No. 5871, An Ordinance to Revise the Terms of the Sewer Rate Relief Program by Amending Section 13.16.360E of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
39. No. LF101012-07 First Reading, Ordinance No. 5872, An Ordinance Prohibiting Public Urination and Public Defecation in the City of Rapid City by Amending Section 9.08.070 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
40. No. 12OA008 First Reading, Ordinance No 5869, An Ordinance to Amend Section 17.20.020 of the Rapid City Municipal Code Allowing Dental Clinics and Medical Clinics as Permitted Uses in the Neighborhood Commercial District.
41. No. LF032812-13 Second Reading, Ordinance No. 5817, An Ordinance to Allow Modular Homes in Manufactured Home Parks by Amending Section 15.48.010 and Section 15.48.090 of Chapter 15.48 of the Rapid City Municipal Code.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items
42. No. 12PL057 - A request by Arleth and Associates for CPP Rushmore LLC for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for property generally described as being located south of Eglin Street and east of Luna Drive.
43. No. 12PL059 - A request by Fisk Land Surveying & Consulting Engineers for James and Charlette Steele for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for property generally described as being located on Sun Ridge Road.
Legal & Finance Committee Items
44. Acknowledge discussion on energy cost savings.
45. Sustainability Committee Report
Public Works Committee Items
46. No. PW100912-15 Request by the South Dakota Department of Transportation to eliminate on-street parking from Mount Rushmore Road from St. Patrick Street to Kansas City Street and Update on Medians - Mark Leiferman, SDDOT
47. No. CC101512-02.1 2011 Storm Damage Recovery Project Schedule C, Project No. 12-2016C/CIP No. 50903 (Opened on October 9, 2012)
48. No. CC101512-02.2 Tandem Dump Trucks with Plow and Slide-In Sander, Street Division (Opened on October 9, 2012)
49. No. CC101512-02.3 Sander Trucks with Plow and Wings, Street Division (Opened on October 9, 2012)
50. No. CC101512-02.4 - Omaha Street 24 Watermain Extension, Project 12-2065 / CIP No. 50945 (Informal Quote)
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications
Council Items & Liaison Reports
51. No. CC101512-04.1 - Discussion regarding Mayor's Office Stationery Expenditures Ron Sasso
Motion for Delivery of Items from Committee
License application appeals
Sign Code Appeals
Other Appeals Heard by the Council
CIP Committee Items
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Items 52 - 55
Open Public Hearing (comment) -- Items 52 - 55 [Public Hearing Remains Open]
CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARING CONSENT ITEMS Items 52- 53
Remove Items from the Continued Public Hearing Consent Items and Vote on Remaining Continued Public Hearing Consent Items
Continue the following items until November 5, 2012:
52. No. 12CA007 - A request by James and Kelly Commet for an Amendment to the Comprehensive Plan to change the land use designation from Commercial to Residential for property generally described as being located at 809 Saint Andrew Street.
53. No. 12RZ018 - First Reading, Ordinance 5868, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, Rezoning the within Described Property as requested by James and Kelly Commet for a Rezoning from General Commercial District to Medium Density Residential District for property generally described as being located at 809 Saint Andrew Street.
END OF CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARINGS CONSENT ITEMS
Close Public Hearing (comment) -- Items 52 - 55
CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Item 54
Remove Items from the Consent Public Hearing Items and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items (NONE)
54. Rapid City Library Foundation for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for October 27, 2012 at the Rapid City Public Library, 610 Quincy Street
Other Items Requiring Public Hearings
END OF CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING CALENDAR
NON-CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Item 55
55. No. 12RZ017 Second Reading, Ordinance 5867, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, Rezoning the within Described Property as requested by Fisk Land Surveying & Consulting Engineers for Bailey Associates, Inc. for a Rezoning from Medium Density Residential District to General Agriculture District for property generally described as being located east of the current terminus of Commerce Road.
56. No. CC101512-01 Bill List for October 15, 2012