M E M O R A N D U M
To: Rapid City City Council
From: Rapid City Planning Commission
No. 00PD032 - Meridian Subdivision
A request by Gary Renner for Buescher Frankenberg Associates, Inc. to consider an application for a Major Amendment to a Planned Commercial Development to increase the Walmart building footprint and parking on Lots 4A, 4B and 5R of Meridan Subdivision, Section 30, T2N, R8E, BHM, Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota, more generally described as being located at the intersection of LaCrosse Street and Anamosa Street.
Staff recommends that the Major Amendment to a Planned Commercial Development be continued to the September 18, 2000 City Council meeting at the request of the applicant.
PLANNING COMMISSION RECOMMENDATION:
Planning Commission recommended approval of the Major Amendment to a Planned Commercial Development to increase the Wal-Mart building footprint and parking with the following stipulations:
Pennington County Air Quality Department Recommendations:
1. An Air Quality Permit must be obtained if the area of total surface disturbance equals one acre or more;
Pennington County Emergency Services Communications Center Recommendations:
2. Prior to City Council approval, the site plan shall be revised to indicate the property street name - "North LaCrosse Street";
Engineering Division Recommendations:
3. Prior to issuance of a building permit, the applicant shall submit to the Engineering Division evidence of an easement on the adjacent property (east of Lot 5R) to allow access by the applicant, or the City, for construction, inspection, operation, or maintenance of the drainage facilities east of the building, including erosion control or energy dissipation structures. The drainage improvements shall be maintained in good repair.
Fire Department Recommendations:
4. Prior to City Council approval, a revised site plan shall be submitted for review and approval by the Fire Department revising the design of the southeast approach to allow adequate access for emergency vehicles (i.e. ladder truck) to enter this area;
5. Prior to City Council approval, a revised site plan shall be submitted for review and approval by the Fire Department showing the location of an additional fire hydrant to be installed for the relocation of the Golden Corral building;
6. Prior to City Council approval, a revised site plan shall be submitted for review and approval showing the redesign of the southwest entrance and parking area to eliminate the bottleneck. The revisions shall include the relocation of outdoor display areas, redesign of the driveway, etc. to eliminate the congestion for traffic entering and exiting the site as well as for emergency equipment;
Urban Planning Division Recommendations:
7. Prior to issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy, a solid wood or masonry screening fence shall be installed along portions of the property line located adjacent to property zoned Medium Density Residential. The applicant shall maintain the fence in good condition at all times;
8. Prior to issuance of a Building Permit, a revised site plan showing compliance with landscaping and parking requirements of the Zoning Ordinance shall be submitted for review and approval. Prior to City Council approval, a complete floor plan shall be submitted to allow a review of the minimum off-street parking requirements. The minimum number of off-street parking spaces as required by Section 17.50 of the Municipal Code shall be maintained at all times. Prior to issuance of a building permit, the applicant shall have installed all required landscaping, including the installation of an irrigation system, or, shall submit an estimate form and surety for the installation of such improvements within one construction season. The landscaping shall be maintained in a live vegetative state at all times and the irrigation system shall also be maintained in an operating condition at all times;
9. Prior to City Council approval, a revised site plan shall be submitted designating an area for outside sales for review and approval. Such area shall not conflict with the minimum off-street parking requirements and shall not impede access or contribute to traffic congestion on the site. No outside sales shall occur on the site except in the approved location. Prior to issuance of a Building Permit, the applicant shall enter into an agreement assuring the City that the owner will not locate any outside sales on any area of the site, other than the approved location;
10. Prior to issuance of a Building Permit, signs shall be posted in the parking lot stating that "Overnight Camping is unlawful and all campers will be removed by the Wal-Mart Management." Prior to issuance of a Building Permit, the applicant shall enter into an agreement insuring that no overnight camping will occur on the site;
Traffic Engineering Division/Transportation Planning Division Recommendations:
11. Prior to City Council approval, a revised site plan shall be submitted for review and approval redesigning the internal circulation aisle intersection at the end of the main driveway from LaCrosse Street in accordance with the Traffic Impact Study;
12. Prior to issuance of a Building Permit, the applicant shall bond for the design and construction of intersection improvements (including signal upgrades) to the east and west intersection approaches at LaCrosse Street and East Anamosa Street in accordance with the changes outlined in the Traffic Impact Study; and,
13. Prior to issuance of a Building Permit, the applicant shall bond for the design and construction of a traffic signal at the intersection of LaCrosse Street and Meridian Lane.
Vote: Unanimous (9 to 0)